A review of studies in the field of evaluation of industrial safety culture & safety climate in Iran
evaluation of industrial safety culture & safety climate in Iran
Introduction: Various studies have shown that the main causes of most workplace accidents are unsafe behaviors that usually occur in a work environment with inadequate safety management and safety culture. Therefore, the purpose of this study is a brief review of studies that have examined the safety culture and safety climate of industries in Iran
Materials and methods: This review study focuses on systematically searching articles from 2009 to 2019 in databases, Google Scholar, SID, Magiran, Science Direct, and PubMed using Persian keywords including safety culture, safety climate, workers, industries, Iran and English keywords including Safety Culture, Safety Climate, Workers, Industrial and Iran. The titles and abstracts of articles containing relevant results were extracted over the past 10 years. Then, they were categorized and analyzed according to the title of the article, year of publication, place of publication, type of industry, place of research, field of study, method of evaluation and analysis.
Results: The results showed that what is observed in various studies and selected articles aimed at examining the safety culture and safety climate of industries in Iran is as follows: 1) Factors affecting safety culture and safety climate 2) Influence of training and knowledge of management system HSE in promoting safety culture and safety climate 3) Relationship between safety culture and safety climate with unsafe behaviors and incidents 4) Relationship between safety culture and safety climate with job satisfaction, job stress and burnout 5) Relationship between individual and occupational variables with safety culture 6) Relationship between HSE management system and technical and managerial interventions with safety culture and safety climate 7) Status of Safety Climate and safety culture.
Conclusion: The state of the culture and atmosphere of safety in Iran's industries cannot be generally concluded, however Creating a positive safety culture and atmosphere in the organization by identifying and evaluating effective components such as the commitment of senior management of the organization and quality training of workers makes employees aware of the dangers in the workplace, avoids unsafe practices and ultimately reduce human errors and accidents.
2. Hämäläinen P, Takala J, Saarela KL. Global estimates of occupational accidents. Safety science. 2006;44(2):137-56.
3. Halvani G, Fallah H, Barkhordari A, Khoshk Daman R, Behjati M, Koohi F. ASurvey of causes of occupational accidents at working place under protection of Yazd Social Security Organization in 2005. Iran occupational health. 2010;7(3):22-9.
4. ERGöR OA, Demiral Y, Piyal YB. A significant outcome of work life: occupational accidents in a developing country, Turkey. Journal of occupational health. 2003;45(1):74-80.
5. Sanaeinasab H, GHOFRANIPOUR F, KAZEMNEJAD A, Khavanin A, TAVAKOLI R. The effect of composed PRECEDE-PROCEED model, social cognitive and adult learning theories to promote safety behaviors in employees. 2008.
6. Shappell SA, Wiegmann DA. A human error approach to accident investigation: The taxonomy of unsafe operations. The International Journal of Aviation Psychology. 1997;7(4):269-91.
7. Zare S. Investigation of the safety climate among workers in sirjan GolGohar mining and industrial company. 2013.
8. Hopkins A. What are we to make of safe behaviour programs? Safety science. 2006;44(7):583-97.
9. Pun K, Chin K, Gill R. Determinants of employee involvement practices in manufacturing enterprises. Total Quality Management. 2001;12(1):95-109.
10. Zohar D. Safety climate in industrial organizations: theoretical and applied implications. Journal of applied psychology. 1980;65(1):96.
11. Vinodkumar M, Bhasi M. Safety climate factors and its relationship with accidents and personal attributes in the chemical industry. Safety science. 2009;47(5):659-67.
12. Buck MA. Proactive personality and big five traits in supervisors and workgroup members: Effects on safety climate and safety motivation. 2011.
13. Vinodkumar M, Bhasi M. Safety management practices and safety behaviour: Assessing the mediating role of safety knowledge and motivation. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 2010;42(6):2082-93.
14. Flin R, Mearns K, O'Connor P, Bryden R. Measuring safety climate: identifying the common features. Safety science. 2000;34(1-3):177-92.
15. Guldenmund FW. The nature of safety culture: a review of theory and research. Safety science. 2000;34(1-3):215-57.
16. Hajaghazadeh M, Adl J, Zare M. Safety assessment by using Nordic occupational safety climate questionnaire in one of the commercial ports in 1389. Occupational Medicine Quarterly Journal. 2014;6(1):17-28.
17. Adl J, Jahangiri M, Rismanchian M, Mary Oriad H, Karimi A, Ghaderi M. Safety climate in a steel-manufacturing plant. Journal of school of public health and institute of public health research. 2011;9(1):23-34.
18. Cooper MD, Phillips RA. Exploratory analysis of the safety climate and safety behavior relationship. Journal of safety research. 2004;35(5):497-512.
19. Antonsen S. Safety culture and the issue of power. Safety Science. 2009;47(2):183-91.
20. Kaafarani HM, Itani KM, Rosen AK, Zhao S, Hartmann CW, Gaba DM. How does patient safety culture in the operating room and post-anesthesia care unit compare to the rest of the hospital? The American Journal of Surgery. 2009;198(1):70-5.
21. Wiegmann DA, von Thaden TL, Gibbons AM. A review of safety culture theory and its potential application to traffic safety. Improving Traffic Safety Culture in the United States. 2007;113.
22. Ooshaksaraie M, Majid AA, Yasir MS, Yahaya R. Safety culture evaluation in the metal products industry of Iran. European Journal of Social Sciences. 2009;11(1):160-9.
23. Wu T-C, Lin C-H, Shiau S-Y. Developing measures for assessing the causality of safety culture in a petrochemical industry. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution: Focus. 2009;9(5-6):507.
24. SHUEN YS. SAFETY COMMUNICATION, SAFETY CULTURE, AND SAFETY LEADERSHIP ON SAFETY PARTICIPATION AMONG MANUFACTURING EMPLOYEES. 2018.
25. Parkestani HN, Alimohammadi I, Arghami S, Ghohari M, Farshad A. Assessment of reliability and validity of a new safety culture questionnaire. Iran Occupational Health. 2010;7(1):18-25.
26. Heidari M, Farshad A, Arghami S. Astudy on relationship between production link worker's safety attitude and their safe act in of arak metal industry. Iran Occupational Health. 2007;4(3):1-9.
27. Shao T, Cao D-Z, Li H, Kong J, Xia Z. Investigation on the association of safety perception and safety behaviors with occupational injuries in steel-workers. Zhonghua lao dong wei sheng zhi ye bing za zhi= Zhonghua laodong weisheng zhiyebing zazhi= Chinese journal of industrial hygiene and occupational diseases. 2004;22(6):416-8.
28. Boughaba A, Hassane C, Roukia O. Safety culture assessment in petrochemical industry: a comparative study of two Algerian plants. Safety and health at work. 2014;5(2):60-5.
29. García-Herrero S, Mariscal M, Gutiérrez JM, Toca-Otero A. Bayesian network analysis of safety culture and organizational culture in a nuclear power plant. Safety science. 2013;53:82-95.
30. Khodaei M, Eraghi M, Barrani E. Assessing the safety culture in wood and paper industries located in the North of Iran. 2014.
31. Lee T, Harrison K. Assessing safety culture in nuclear power stations. Safety science. 2000;34(1-3):61-97.
32. FIROOZI CA, BARKHORDAREI FA, MIRZAEI AM. Assessment of Safety Climate in one of the Mine in Yazd Province. 2014.
33. Ferraro L. Measuring safety climate: the implications for safety performance 2002.
34. Goodarzi R, Arghami S, Pouyakian M. Identification of factors affecting safety culture in Iranian thermal power plants. Journal of Occupational Hygiene Engineering. 2016;3(2):12-20.
35. Mortazavi S, Asilian H, Avestakhan M. Relationship between safety climate factors and the risk of dangerous situations in height among construction workers. 2011.
36. Esˊhaghi M, Sepehr P. Investigation of the Relationship between Safety Culture and Unsafe Behavior among the Workers of the Profiling Industry Ekbatan. Journal of North Khorasan Medical Sciences. 2018;10(417-34).
37. Jafari MJ, Gharari M, Kalantari S, Omidi L, Ghaffari M, Fardi GRA. The influence of safety training on improvement in safety climate in construction sites of a firm. Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention. 2015;2(4):257-64.
38. Sepehr P. Assessing the Impact of Training on Promoting a Safety Culture in the Use of Personal Protective Equipment. North Khorasan Journal of Medical Sciences. 2018;10(1):91-7.
39. Mohsen Mahdinia, Alireza Koohpaei, Shahram Arsang-Jang, Abbas Sadeghi, Javad Malakuoti, Karimi A. Safety Culture Assessment and Determination of its Predictive Demographic and Occupational Variables among Industries of Qom Province, Iran. Journal of Health System Research. 2016;12(4):426-33.
40. RezaeiiBaghebidi MH, Halvani G, Ghiyasi S, DehghaniTafti A. Assessing Safety Culture and its Influencing Factors in a Steel-Manufacturing Plant. Tolooebehdasht. 2017;16(4):37-48.
41. Sepehr P, MOHAMMAD FI, Ketabi D, Sepehr N. Effect of engineering and management interventions on promoting safety culture indicators among workers of Iranian pipe rolling factory. 2014.
42. NAJMABADI H, HALVANI G, ESMAEILI A, MIHANPOUR H. Survey of Safety Culture and Its Relation to Work-Related Accidents in a City Train Project. Occupational Hygiene and Health Promotion Journal. 2018;1(3):164-75.
43. Rahmati NK F, Maneshi HA, Rezaie M, Abbasi M. Evaluation of safety culture in staffs of South Pars Gas Company. Iran Occupational Health. 2018;14(6):57-69.
44. Khaleghinejad A, Ziaaldini M. Relationship between employees' safety climate and safety performance with respect to mediating effect of safety knowledge and safety motivation in Sarcheshmeh copper complex. Health and safety at work. 2015;5(4):69-86.
45. Zare M, Aghamolaei T, Dadipoor S, SafariMoradabadi A, Hosaini FA. Relationship between safety culture and job satisfaction in employees of Shahid Rajaee port. Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2017;4(1):1-9.
46. Shirali GA, Khademian F. Analysis of workplace safety climate using Nordic questionnaire: a case study in a metal industry. Iran Occupational Health. 2016;13(5):25-38.
47. Zamanian Z, Zakian S, Jamali M, Kouhnavard B. Relationship between Safety Culture and Job Stress among the Personnel of Telecom Companies. Safety Promotion and Injury Prevention. 2017;4(3):161-6.
48. KHANDAN M, KOOHPAEI A. JOB BURNOUT AND SAFETY CLIMATE RELATIONSHIP AND THEIR ROLE IN WORK-RELATED ACCIDENTS IN AN IRANIAN PORT. 2016.
49. Adl J, Shokoohi Y, Kakooei H. Safety climate as an indicator to evaluate the performance of occupational health and safety management system. Journal of health. 2012;3(1):32-40.
50. Khandan M, Vosoughi S, Maghsoudipour M. Evaluation of safety climate factors-a macroergonomics approach: A case study in Iran. Iranian Rehabilitation Journal. 2012;10:43-6.
51. Marzaleh MA, Vosoughi S, Kavousi A, Bozorg HJ. Investigation of relationship between level of awareness around health, safety and environment management system and its effects on safety climate and risk perception by employees in an Iran oil refinery, 2015. Iranian journal of health, safety and environment. 2017;4(2):738-45.
52. Afroghi S, MIRZAEI R, Nasrabadi M. The role of safety management system in safety culture in an oil and gas exploration and production company in Asalouyeh, Bushehr Province, Iran, in2015. 2014.
53. Ghahramani A. Diagnosis of poor safety culture as a major shortcoming in OHSAS 18001-certified companies. Industrial health. 2017;55(2):138-48.
54. Varmazyar S, Mortazavi SB, Arghami S, Hajizadeh E. Relationship between organisational safety culture dimensions and crashes. International journal of injury control and safety promotion. 2016;23(1):72-8.
55. Arezes PM, Miguel AS. Risk perception and safety behaviour: A study in an occupational environment. Safety science. 2008;46(6):900-7.
56. Mirzaie Ali Abadi M, Feize Arefi M, Gholami S, Chahardooli Z, Rostami F. Investigating Safety Climate and Its Structural Dimensions in a Sugar Industry Using Nordic Questionnaire (NOSACQ-50). Occupational and Environmental Health. 2017;3(1):59-67.
57. Rohollahi AA, Moradi S. Investigation of Safety Culture Components in Aviation Industries. Iran Occupational Health. 2014;11(6):84-93.
58. Maleki A, Darvishi E, Moradi A. Safety culture assessment and its relationship with the accidents in a dam construction project. Health and Safety at Work. 2015;4(4):59-68.
59. Alimohammadi I, Amini M. Assessing safety culture and its influencing factors in a detergent products manufacturing company. Health and Safety at Work. 2013;3(2):67-78.
60. Amirbahmani A, Vosoughi S, Alibabaei A. Assessment of the Relationship between worker’s safety climate and safety performance in construction projects. Iran Occupational Health. 2018;15(3):19-30.
61. Cooper MD. Towards a model of safety culture. Safety science. 2000;36(2):111-36.
62. O’Connor P, O’Dea A, Kennedy Q, Buttrey SE. Measuring safety climate in aviation: A review and recommendations for the future. Safety Science. 2011;49(2):128-38.
63. Shannon HS, Norman GR. Deriving the factor structure of safety climate scales. Safety Science. 2009;47(3):327-9.
64. Mohammadi Zeidi I, Pakpor A, Mohammadi Zeidi B. The effect of an educational intervention based on the theory of planned behavior to improve safety climate. Iran occupational health. 2013;9(4).
65. Ahmadi Marzaleh M, Vosoughi S, Kavousi A, Jameh Bozorg H. Investigation of the relation between level of awareness in health, safety and environment management system and its effects on employee safety climate in Kermanshah oil refinery in 2015. Iran Occupational Health. 2017;14(3):117-29.
66. ES'HAGHI M, SEPEHR P. Establishing of Participation Maturity System in Safety Management by Using Safety Culture Maturity Model through Targeted Hazard Identification System (THIS) Technique. International Journal of Occupational Hygiene. 2017;9(3):155-62.
67. Asivandzadeh E, Jamalizadeh Z. Evaluation of the Impact of Training and Technical Interventions on Organization Safety Climate and Safe Performance of Workers in the Construction Industry. Journal of Occupational Hygiene Engineering Volume. 2018;5(3):45-52.
68. Firoozi Chahak A, Beheshti M, Poursadeghiyan M. Effect of health, safety, and environment management system training on safety climate in a mine in Yazd Province, Iran. Journal of Occupational Health & Epidemiology. 2015;4.
69. Myers DJ, Nyce JM, Dekker SW. Setting culture apart: Distinguishing culture from behavior and social structure in safety and injury research. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 2014;68:25-9.
70. DeJoy DM. Behavior change versus culture change: Divergent approaches to managing workplace safety. Safety science. 2005;43(2):105-29.
71. Khandan M, Hosseinzadeh Z, Sakhaei Z, Momenian S, Koohpaei A. The relationship between job satisfaction and general health in workers and workplace accidents in medium-scale industries. Journal of Occupational Hygiene Engineering. 2015;2(2):43-51.
72. Zare M, Aghamolaei T, Dadipoor S. Relationship between safety Culture and job Satisfaction in employees of a port in the south of Iran. Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2017.
73. Mahdinia M, Arsang Jang S, Sadeghi A, Karimi A. Assessment of safety behavior and determination of its predictive individual and occupational variables. Occupational Medicine Quarterly Journal. 2017;9(3):22-31.
74. Halvani G, Ebrahimzadeh M, Dehghan M, Fallah H, Mortazavi M. Assessment of factors affecting safety culture in Yazd steel industry workers. Occupational Medicine Quarterly Journal. 2012;4(1):66-72.
75. Jafari Nodoushan R, Halvani G, Salmani Nodoushan Z, Ebrahimzadeh M. Relationship between safety culture and accidents in textile workers of Yazd City. Occupational medicine quarterly journal. 2012;3(3):1-7.
76. Shekari M, Shirali G, Hosseinzadeh T. Safety culture assessment among laboratory personnel of a petrochemical company. Health and Safety at Work. 2014;4(1):65-72.
77. Vegso S, Cantley L, Slade M, Taiwo O, Sircar K, Rabinowitz P, et al. Extended work hours and risk of acute occupational injury: A case‐crossover study of workers in manufacturing. American journal of industrial medicine. 2007;50(8):597-603.
78. Dembe AE, Erickson JB, Delbos RG, Banks SM. The impact of overtime and long work hours on occupational injuries and illnesses: new evidence from the United States. Occupational and environmental medicine. 2005;62(9):588-97.
79. Schuster M, Rhodes S. The impact of overtime work on industrial accident rates. Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society. 1985;24(2):234-46.
80. Robson LS, Bigelow PL. Measurement properties of occupational health and safety management audits: a systematic literature search and traditional literature synthesis. Canadian journal of public health. 2010;101(1):S34-S40.
81. Zohar D. Thirty years of safety climate research: Reflections and future directions. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 2010;42(5):1517-22.
82. Mohammadfam I, Neazamodini Z. Effect of technical intervention in promoting safety culture assessment. Jundishapur journal of health sciences. 2010;2(2):66-74.
83. Ghahramani A. An investigation of safety climate in OHSAS 18001-certified and non-certified organizations. International journal of occupational safety and ergonomics. 2016;22(3):414-21.
84. Smith GS, Huang Y-H, Ho M, Chen PY. The relationship between safety climate and injury rates across industries: The need to adjust for injury hazards. Accident Analysis & Prevention. 2006;38(3):556-62.
85. Shokoohi Y, Adl J, Kakooei H, Panahi D, Ghorbani M. Survey of Safety Climate in a Petrochemical Industry in Mahshahr. Alborz University Medical Journal. 2012;1(3):166-72.
86. Fazli B, Ansari H, Zare H, HamiMahkoyeh S, Sadeghzadeh A, Fazli F, et al. Safety culture in GolGohar Mine in Southeast Iran in 2014. Journal of Occupational Health and Epidemiology. 2014;3(2):117-25.
87. Adl J JM, Rismanchian M, Oriad HM, Karimi A, Ghaderi M. Safety climate assessment in a steel industry. Faculty of Health and Institute of Health Research journal. 2012;9(1):23-34.
88. Haji Omid Kalte MAM, Mohammad Amin Faghih , Bizhan Assodallahi , Ehsan Hamamizadeh. Assessment of Safety Climate and effect of Related Factors among Staff of a Dairy Company in 2016. havazon magazines. 2016;1(5):22-32.
89. Hatami F. The effects of a safety educational intervention on promoting safety behavior at textile workers. Hormozgan Medical Journal. 2013;17(4):333-45.
90. Heydari M, Farshad A, Arghami S. The relationship between safety climate and safety behavior in the line of metal industry employees Arak. J Tehran Uni Med Sci. 2001;51:371-8.
91. taghdisi m, tavasoli e, hashemi nejad n, haghighi m. Assessment of Employees\'Perceptions Regarding The Safety Culture Based on Health Belief Model (HBM) in Shahid Bahonar Copper Industries Company. scientific journal of ilam university of medical sciences. 2013;21(4):1-11.
92. Zohar D. Modifying supervisory practices to improve subunit safety: a leadership-based intervention model. Journal of Applied psychology. 2002;87(1):156.
93. Griffin MA, Neal A. Perceptions of safety at work: a framework for linking safety climate to safety performance, knowledge, and motivation. Journal of occupational health psychology. 2000;5(3):347.
Copyright (c) 2020 International Journal of Occupational Hygiene
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.