A Review of the Strategies and Policies for the Prevention and Control of the COVID-19 at Workplaces
The occupational settings present high risk in terms of exposure and spreading of the Corona Virus‑2019 (COVID-19) due to the gathering of many individuals. Although still uncertainty remains around COVID-19 and it is early to have conclusion on its prevention and control, different policies have been promoted by international organizations and health authorities regarding high risk staff to reduce exposure in occupational settings. The aim of this study was to provide a brief review of the required strategies and policies to prevent and control COVID-19 at workplaces. Because of the wide and rapid spread of new coronavirus globally, all people, including employees, and employers should implement the necessary instructions, training, and measures for the prevention and control of infection. Furthermore, governments and health organizations should promote prevention and control measures in three levels of engineering, administrative, and personal protective equipment (PPE) controls to prevent COVID-19 at workplaces.
2. Wang C, Horby PW, Hayden FG, Gao GF. A novel coronavirus outbreak of global health concern. Lancet, 2020; 395:470–473.
3. World Health Organization. Novel Coronavirus (2019- nCoV): Situation Report - 12 [Internet]. 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situationreports/20200201-sitrep-12-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=273c5d35_2.
4. Lai C-C, Shih T-P, Ko W-C, Tang H-J, Hsueh P-R. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and corona virus disease-2019 (COVID-19): the epidemic and the challenges. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents. 2020:105924.
5. Li Q, Guan X, Wu P, Wang X, Zhou L, Tong Y, et al. Early transmission dynamics in Wuhan, China, of novel coronavirus–infected pneumonia. New England Journal of Medicine. 2020; 382:1199-1207.
6. Rahmati O, Panahi M, Ghiasi SS, Deo RC, Tiefenbacher JP, Pradhan B, Jahani A, Goshtasb H, Kornejady A, Shahabi H, Shirzadi A. Hybridized neural fuzzy ensembles for dust source modeling and prediction. Atmos. Environ. 2020; 224:117320.
7. Kailu WA, Wong EL, Ho KF, Cheung AW, Yeoh EK, Chan EY, Wong SY. Availability of workplace policy for prevention of coronavirus disease 2019 and its relationship with personal protection behaviours: A survey of employees.
8. Bahraminejad M, Rayegani B, Jahani A, Nezami B. Proposing an early-warning system for optimal management of protected areas (Case study: Darmiyan protected area, Eastern Iran). J. Nat. Conserv. 2018; 46:79-88.
9. Hale, Thomas, Sam Webster, Anna Petherick, Toby Phillips, and Beatriz Kira. Oxford COVID-19 Government Response Tracker, Blavatnik School of Government. 2020.Available from: https://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/research/research-projects/oxford-covid-19-government-response-tracker
10. Habibzadeh P, Stoneman EK. The novel coronavirus: a bird’s eye view. Int J Occup Environ Med. 2020; 11(2):65-71.
11. Jahani A. Aesthetic quality evaluation modeling of forest landscape using artificial neural network, Journal of Wood and Forest Science and Technology. 2017; 24(3): 17-34.
12. World Health Organization. Coronavirus (COVID-19) Events as They Happen. [Accessed 22 Mar 2020; cited 17 Apr 2020]. Available from: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/eventsas-they-happen.
13. Public Health England. COVID-19: Investigation and Initial Clinical Management of
Possible Cases - GOV. UK. Public Health England, [Accessed 22 Mar 2020; cited 17 Apr 2020]. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/ government/ publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirusinitial- investigationof-possible-cases/investigation-andinitial- clinicalmanagement-of-possible-cases-of-wuhannovel-coronaviruswn-cov-infection.
14. Kalantary S, Khadem M. Occupation groups and Covid-19. Journal of Health and Safety at Work Volume. 2020 May 10;10(2).
15. Guidance on preparing workplaces for COVID-19. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Available from: https://www.osha.gov/ Publications/OSHA3990.pdf; 2020.
16. Barati B, Jahani A, Zebardast L, Raygani B. Integration Assessment of the Protected Areas Using Landscape Ecological Approach (Case: Kolah Ghazy National Park and Wildlife Refuge). Town and Country Planning. 2017; 9(1):153-168.
17. Istituto Superiore di Sanita’ (ISS). Sorveglianza Integrata COVID-19 in Italia 2020 [updated 26 March 2020; cited 26 March 2020]. Available from: https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Infografica_26marzo%20 ITA.pdf
18. CDC Industry Guidance. Interim guidance for businesses and employers to plan and respond to coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Available from: https://healthalliancesjc.org/wp-content/ uploads/2020/03/Interim-Guidance-for-Businesses-and Businesses-and-Employers-to-Plan-and-Respond-to-Coronavirus- Disease-2019-COVID-19-February-2.-1.pdf; 2020.
19. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak: rights,roles and responsibilities of health workers, including key considerations for occupational safety and health, [Accessed 2 Mar 2020; cited 17 Apr 2020]. Available from: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/healthworkers
20. Lan FY, Wei CF, Hsu YT, Christiani DC, Kales SN. Workrelated Covid-19 transmission. medRxiv. 2020 https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.04.08.20058297.
21. European Agency for Safety and Health at Work (EUOSHA), Work-related diseases from biological agents, [Accessed 28 Apr 2020; cited 10 Mar 2020]. Available from: https://osha.europa.eu/en/themes/work-relateddiseases/biological-agents.
22. Joob B, Wiwanitkit V. COVID-19 in medical personnel: observation from Thailand. J HOSP INFECT. 2020 Apr 1;104(4):453.
23. Mosaffaei Z, Jahani A, Chahouki MA, Goshtasb H, Etemad V, Saffariha M. Soil texture and plant degradation predictive model (STPDPM) in national parks using artificial neural network (ANN). Modeling Earth Systems and Environment. 2020:1-5.
24. Guidance on preparing workplaces for COVID-19. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). Available from: https://www.osha.gov/ Publications/OSHA3990.pdf; 2020.
25. Belingheri M, Paladino ME, Riva MA. COVID-19: Health prevention and control in non-healthcare settings. Occup. Med. 2020; 70(2):82-83.
26. Rafeemanesh E, Ahmadi F, Memarzadeh M. A Review of the Strategies and Studies on the Prevention and Control of the New Coronavirus in Workplaces. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2020;8(Covid-19 Special Issue):242-6.
27. Shams SR, Jahani A, Moeinaddini M, Khorasani N. Air carbon monoxide forecasting using an artificial neural network in comparison with multiple regression. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment. 2020 Sep; 6(3):1467-75.
28. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Guidelines for the use of non-pharmaceutical measures to delay and mitigate the impact of 2019-nCoV. 2020.
29. Jafari M, Kalantari S, Zendehdel R, Sarbakhsh P. Feasibility of Substituting Ethylene with Sulfur Hexafluoride as a Tracer Gas in Hood Performance Test by ASHRAE-110-95 Method. International Journal of Occupational Hygiene. 2014;6(1):31-6.
30. Morawska L, Tang JW, Bahnfleth W, Bluyssen PM, Boerstra A, Buonanno G, Cao J, Dancer S, Floto A, Querol X, Wierzbicka A. How can airborne transmission of COVID-19 indoors be minimised? Environ. Int., 2020, 142.
31. World Health Organization. Rational use of personal protective equipment for coronavirus disease (COVID-19). 2020.
32. Omidi L, Zare S, Rad RM, Meshkani M, Kalantary S. Effects of shift work on health and satisfaction of workers in the mining industry. International journal of occupational hygiene. 2017; 9(1):21-5.
33. Sun H, Dickens BL, Chen M, Cook AR, Clapham HE. Estimating number of global importations of COVID-19 from Wuhan, risk of transmission outside mainland China and COVID-19 introduction index between countries outside Mainland China. Med Rxiv. 2020.
34. Guan W-j, Ni Z-y, Hu Y, Liang W-h, Ou C-q, He J-x, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med. 2020; 382:1708-1720
35. Personal Protective Equipment: Questions and Answers. [Updated 14Mar 2020; cited 9 Apr 2020]. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html.
36. World Health Organization. Rational use of personal protective equipment (PPE) for coronavirus disease (COVID-19): interim guidance, [Accessed 6 Apr 2020; cited 10 Apr 2020]. Available from: https://apps.who .int/iris/handle/10665/331498.
37. Public Health Ontario. Updated IPAC recommendations for use of personal protective equipment for care of individuals with suspect or confirmed COVID-19. Available from: https://www.publichealthontario. ca/-/media/documents/ncov/updated-ipac-measures-covid-19.pdf?la=en; 2020.
38. Jahani R, Khaledyan D, Jahani A, Jamshidi E, Kamalinejad M, Khoramjouy M, Faizi M. Evaluation and comparison of the antidepressant-like activity of Artemisia dracunculus and Stachys lavandulifolia ethanolic extracts: an in vivo study. Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2020; 14(6):554-65.
39. Hoe Gan W, Wah Lim J, Koh D. Preventing intra-hospital infection and transmission of COVID-19 in healthcare workers, Safety and Health at Work. 2020; Epub ahead of print.
40. Pourmohammad P, Jahani A, Chahooki MA, Meigooni HG. Road impact assessment
modelling on plants diversity in national parks using regression analysis in comparison with artificial intelligence. Modeling Earth Systems and Environment. 2020; 6: 1281–1292.
41. Salehi B, Selamoglu Z, Sevindik M, Fahmy NM, Al-Sayed E, El-Shazly M, Csupor-Löffler B, Csupor D, Yazdi SE, Sharifi-Rad J, Arserim-Uçar DK. Achillea spp.: A comprehensive review on its ethnobotany, phytochemistry, phytopharmacology and industrial applications. Cell. Mol. Biol. (Noisy-le-Grand, France). 2020; 66(4):78-103.
42. Kalantary S, Khadem M, Golbabaei F. Personal Protective Equipment for Protecting Healthcare Staff during COVID-19 Outbreak: A Narrative Review. Advanced Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2020; 4(2s):e61-.
43. khaleghpanah R, Jahani A, Khorasani N, Goshtasb H. Prediction model of citizens' satisfaction in urban parks using artificial neural network. Journal of Natural Environment (Iranian Journal of Natural Resources).2019; 72(20): 239-350.
44. World Health Organization. Getting your workplace ready for COVID-19. Word HealthOrganization. 20 March 2020. Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/defaultsource/ coronaviruse/getting-workplace-ready-for-covid-19.pdf.
|Issue||Vol 12 No 1 (2020)|
|Coronavirus COVID-19 Prevention and control workplace policy and strategy|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|