Application of Cost Justification Index of Safety Control Measures (J) In William Fine's Method in the Iranian Studies: A Systematic Review
In the current study, we examined how to use William Fine method, as one of the risk assessment methods in the cost justification index for the control measures, in risk assessment studies in Iran. The present study was aimed to provide a better understanding of the benefits and limitations of this method and to develop a platform for improving the cost factor table in this method. A literature review was done using the PRISMA database toolkit. The purpose of the study was to evaluate the risk using William Fine's method, so general keywords including safety, risk assessment, William Fine were searched in Persian databases and their English equivalents in English databases. The results were analyzed qualitatively. A total of 357 related articles were observed however, 30 qualified studies were included in the systematic review process. A majority of previous studies only applied William Fine's method to rank the risk score whereas the cost justification index of control measures only calculated the risk score in a limited number of studies. William Fine's method has a high score in evaluating corrective strategies in economics and engineering, due to utilizing the cost justification index. One of the strengths of William Fine's method is the cost justification index. The cost index table uses relatively outdated numbers which may causes for limited application of justification index in the studies.
2. Li W, Sun Y, Cao Q, He M, Cui Y. A proactive process risk assessment approach based on job hazard analysis and resilient engineering. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 2019;59:54-62.
3. Nivolianitou Z. Risk analysis and risk management: a European insight. Law, Probability and Risk. 2002;1(2):161-74.
4. Mullai A. Risk management system-risk assessment frameworks and techniques: DaGoB (Safe and Reliable Transport Chains of Dangerous Goods in the Baltic …; 2006.
5. Pinto A. QRAM a Qualitative Occupational Safety Risk Assessment Model for the construction industry that incorporate uncertainties by the use of fuzzy sets. Safety Science. 2014;63:57-76.
6. Ilbahar E, Karaşan A, Cebi S, Kahraman C. A novel approach to risk assessment for occupational health and safety using Pythagorean fuzzy AHP & fuzzy inference system. Safety science. 2018;103:124-36.
7. Ericson CA. Hazard analysis techniques for system safety: John Wiley & Sons; 2015.
8. Gauthier F, Chinniah Y, Burlet-Vienney D, Aucourt B, Larouche S. Risk assessment in safety of machinery: Impact of construction flaws in risk estimation parameters. Safety science. 2018;109:421-33.
9. Kazemzadeh kj, Bastehnegar M, Rezaee Jo. Evaluating environmental effects of automated waste collection project in the city of tehran: problems and solutions. 2015.
10. Haimes YY. Risk Modeling, Assessment, and Management: John Wiley & Sons; 2011.
11. Ünlükal C, Şenel M, Şenel B, editors. Risk Assessment with Failure Mode and Effects Analysis and Grey Relational Analysis Method in Plastic Injection Process. ITM Web of Conferences; 2018: EDP Sciences.
12. Habibi E, Soleymani B, Nateghi R, Lotfi Rbm, Yarmohammadian M. Risk management in radiology units of isfahan university of medical sciences'hospitals. 2007.
13. Quiñones NR, Aguilar OC, Guerrero MLO. Estimation of the risk associated to marketing of swine meat contaminated with Salmonella spp., employing the William T. Fine method. Procedia Food Science. 2016;7:137-40.
14. Geramian A, Mehregan MR, Mokhtarzadeh NG, Hemmati M. Fuzzy inference system application for failure analyzing in automobile industry. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management. 2017.
15. Ghasemi S, Mahmoudvand R, Yavari K. Application of the FMEA in insurance of high-risk industries: a case study of Iran's gas refineries. Stochastic environmental research and risk assessment. 2016;30(2):737-45.
16. Ebrahemzadih M, Halvani G, Shahmoradi B, Giahi O. Assessment and risk management of potential hazards by failure modes and effect analysis (FMEA) method in Yazd Steel Complex. open Journal of safety science and Technology. 2014;4(03):127.
17. Hekmatpanah M, Shahin A, Ravichandran N. The application of FMEA in the oil industry in Iran: The case of four litre oil canning process of Sepahan Oil Company. African Journal of Business Management. 2011;5(7):3019.
18. Zaroushani V, Varriani AS, Ayati S, Nikpey A. Risk assessment in a foundry unit by energy trace and barrier analysis method (ETBA). Iran Occupational Health. 2010;6(4):7-14.
19. Shanoofi M, Zakerian Sa, Nikoomaram H, Movafagh M. Identification and analysis of human errors in ccu unit of tehran's naft hospital. 2019.
20. Allouch A, Koubaa A, Khalgui M, Abbes T. Qualitative and quantitative risk analysis and safety assessment of unmanned aerial vehicles missions over the internet. IEEE Access. 2019;7:53392-410.
21. Smith SW. Safety analysis: principles and practice in occupational safety: CRC Press; 2001.
22. Barreto MM, Ribeiro SL. Aircraft accident investigation: the decision-making in initial action scenario. Work. 2012;41(Supplement 1):4931-5.
23. Sayadi MK, Heydari M, Shahanaghi K. Extension of VIKOR method for decision making problem with interval numbers. Applied Mathematical Modelling. 2009;33(5):2257-62.
24. Albayrak E, Erensal YC. Using analytic hierarchy process (AHP) to improve human performance: An application of multiple criteria decision making problem. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. 2004;15(4):491-503.
25. Oxenburgh M, Marlow P. The Productivity Assessment Tool: Computer-based cost benefit analysis model for the economic assessment of occupational health and safety interventions in the workplace. Journal of safety research. 2005;36(3):209-14.
26. Fine WT. Mathematical evaluations for controlling hazards. NAVAL ORDNANCE LAB WHITE OAK MD; 1971.
27. Hafezi S, Dashti S, Sabzghabaei G. Risk Assessment Health and Safety of Acid Recovery unit of Abadan Oil Refining Company by using William Fine. Journal of Environmental Health Enginering. 2018;6(1):67-83.
28. Saghaei M, Moshrefjavadei S. Assessment and ranking of environmental pollution effects on the population centers (case study: Isfahan metropolis). Journal of Natural Environmental Hazards. 2019;7(18):235-50.
29. Ghojaloo M, Sultanpour A, Haji Esfandiari M. Risk assessment of firefighting work in Region 2, Operation Station 106, Alborz Province, by William Fine. First International conference & Fourth National Conference on Urban Fire Service & Safety; Tehran Olympic Hotel International Conference Center, Tehran Municipality Fire and Safety Services Organization - Sharif University of Technology2019.
30. Baesmat S, Ravandi MRG, Abbasi F, Balochkhaneh FG, Mohammadi AD, Saadati M, et al. Identifying, Assessment and Prioritization of the Existing or Potential Hazards in the Automotive Industry by Combining Three Methods: FMEA, Wiliam Fine and AHP. Health Education and Health Promotion (HEHP). 2017;5(1).
31. Mousavi S, Sotoudeh A, Azimzadeh Hr, Kiani B. Identification and assessment of the environmental aspects related to Yazd solar thermal power plant effluent. 2017.
32. Kakaei H, Poornajaf A, Safarpour F, Rezaei H. Risk Assessment Using William Fine Method at Ilam Gas Refinery in 2012. scientific journal of ilam university of medical sciences. 2018;25(6):150-9.
33. Navaie aznave Z, Omidvari M. Safety Risk assessment in Motor vehicle industries by using William fine and ANP-DEMATEL. Iran Occupational Health Journal. 2017;14(1):57-70.
34. Ehrampoush M, Halvani G, Ghaneian M, Dehghani A, Shafie M, Hesami Arani M. Equipment´ s environmental risks identification and assessment in the Hot-rolling kavir steel industry using Wath if and William Fine Methods. Occupational Medicine Quarterly Journal. 2017;9(1):84-95.
35. Ehrampoush M, Halvani G, Ghaneian M, Dehghani A, Hesami Arani M. Usage of WilliamFine, PHA Methods For Environmental risks management and estimation of control costs in the Kavir Steel Complex. Tolooebehdasht. 2016;15(1):10-25.
36. Jozi S, Mirsalimi S. Environmental risk management of Madkansar Iron Ore Mine in Khorambid County using EFMEA and William Fine integrated approach. Journal of Mineral Resources Engineering. 2016;1(1):19-27.
37. Gholami S, Halvani G, Radpour J, Khalifeh Y. Risks and impacts of non-flammable solvent replacement on risk assessment code using William Fine’s method in a plastic factory. Occupational Medicine Quarterly Journal. 2016;8(2):1-11.
38. Halvani G, Ehrampoush MH, Ghaneian MT, Dehghani A, Arani MH. Applying job hazard analysis and William Fine methods on risks identification and assessment of jobs in hot rolling steel, Iran. Journal of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. 2017;26(145):293-303.
39. Sohrabi Y, Sharafi K, Avakh A, Poursadeghiyan M, Nazari Z, Ebrahimi MH, et al. Conducting risk assessment by William-Fine method in one of Kermanshah tile factory in 2014. Journal of Current Research in Science. 2016(1):8.
40. Soury Laky M, Habibi E, Rahmani N, Parsazadeh B. Safety and Occupational health Risk assessment in a metal industry using Job Safety Analysis and William Fine methods. Rahavard Salamat Journal. 2016;2(2):18-31.
41. Pirsaheb M, Zinatizade A, Asadi F, Pourhaghighat S, Mohamadi A, Sharafi K. Assessment and risk, safety, health and environmental management of on shore drilling machines of National Iranian Drilling Company with the method of ‘William Fine’. Technical Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences. 2015;5(3):127-32.
42. Sekhavati E, Mohammadizadeh M, Mohammadfam I, Zarandi A. Noise pollution risk assessment in cement factory of Larestan using William fine method. Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences. 2015;5(8S):208-13.
43. Rostamkalaey S, Behmanesh A, Hossain pour roudsari H. Environmental risk assessment of Behshahr compost factory by William fine method. 1st International conference on new research in agricultural science and environment; Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur: Karin Sramdhmaysh Institute; 2015.
44. Ebrahimzadih M, Halvani G, Darvishi E, Froghinasab F. Application of Job Safety Analysis and William Fine Methods to Identify and Control Hazards in a Uranium Mine in Central Area of Iran. Journal of Health. 2015;6(3):313-24.
45. Joazi S, Rezayan S, Paya F, Foroozesh F, editors. Risk assessment of the safety, health and environmental MAHESTAN engine oil purification plant in Kermanshah BY William Fine and job safety analysis methodTechnique (JSA). 6th. National Conference on Safety Engineering & HSE Management; 2015.
46. Mooghali A, Abdolmanafi S, Salehi H, Mahmud Saleh S. Risk analysis in Military Organizations (Identification and Prioritization of Critical Risks in Air-Defense Bases). A Researcher Quarterly In Military Management 2016;15(58):43-69.
47. Kouhnavard B, Najimi Mr, Aghanasab M, Bolghanabadi S. Identification and assessment in a occupational hazard foam company applying william fine method, 2012. 2015.
48. Meknatjoo M, Omidvari M. Safety risk assessment by using William–Fine method with compilation fuzzy DEMATEL in machining process. Iran Occupational Health. 2015;12(5):31-42.
49. Ghanbari F, Mirblouki H, Moghaddami Khomami S. Risk assessment of the area of Bandar Anzali industrial town by William Fine method. The Annual International Congress of New Findings in Agricultural and Natural Resources, Environment and Tourism; Tehran: Association for the Development and Promotion of Fundamental Science and Technology; 2020.
50. Jozi A, Jafardzadehaghighifard N, Afzali behbahani N. Identify and Assess Environmental Risks Posed by High – Voltage Power Transmission Lines in Urban areas by William Fine (Case study: Hasirabad area of Ahvaz city). Journal of Ilam University of Medical Sciences. 2014;22(2):82-92.
51. Jozi A, Atabi F, Honarmand H. Health, Safety and Environmental Risk Management in Shomal Cement Plant by Using William Fine Technique. Environmental Research. 2015;5(10):23-34.
52. Heydari M, Omidvari M, Fam I. Presenting of a material exposure health risk assessment model in Oil and Gas Industries (case study: Pars Economic and Energy Region). Health and Safety at Work. 2014;3(4):11-22.
53. Jozi SA, Sarbazan MH. Environmental risk assessment of Azar Abadgan Khoy Cement Factory using PHA and William fine combined method. 11th National Conference on Environmental Impact Assessment; Tehran: Iranian Association For Environmental Assessment
54. Kenarroudi I, Bahadori B. Risk assessment of health and safety in Shargh Cement Company using William Fine method( Case study in Mashhad Cement Construction and Renovation Workshop Unit). Cement Technology Magazine. 2012.
55. Moradi H, Pir Sahib M. Risk assessment and management HSE dry drilling machines by William Fine. Oil, Gas & Energy Monthly Magazine. 2012;3(11):34-.
56. Jouzi SA, Kabzadeh s, Irankhahi M. Safety, Health & Environmental Risk Assessment and Management of Ahwaz Pipe Manufacturing Company via “William Fine” Method. Journal of Ilam University Of Medical Sciences. 2010;18(1):1-8.
57. Harms-Ringdahl L. Safety Analysis: Principles and Practice in Occupational Safety: CRC Press; 2001.
58. López-Alonso M, Ibarrondo-Dávila M, Rubio M. Safety cost management in construction companies: A proposal classification. Work. 2016;54(3):617-30.
59. Mohammadfam I. Risk Assessment and Management. In: Jahangiri M. Principles of Safety Management and Engineering. Shiraz: Shiraz University of Medicals Sciences; 2019.
|Issue||Vol 12 No 2 (2020)|
|Safety Risk Assessment William Fine's method J index cost justification|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|